鏂拌閲庡ぇ瀛﹁嫳璇鍥涘唽Unit1涓巙nit8璇炬枃缈昏瘧 - 鐧惧害鏂囧簱 联系客服

发布时间 : 星期三 文章鏂拌閲庡ぇ瀛﹁嫳璇鍥涘唽Unit1涓巙nit8璇炬枃缈昏瘧 - 鐧惧害鏂囧簱更新完毕开始阅读019ae725e109581b6bd97f19227916888586b9fc

狗自逐其尾所得到的只是一条尾巴而已。

The person who achieves success often discovers that it does more harm than good. 获得成功的人常常发现成功对他来说弊大于利。 So instead of trying so hard to a

happy with who you are and what you do.

chieve success, try to be

所以要为真实的你、为自己的所为感到高兴,而不是拼命去获得成功。

Try to do work that you can be proud of.

做那些你为之感到骄傲的事情。

Maybe you won't be famous in your own lifetime, art. 可能在有生之年你默默无闻,但你可能创作了更好的艺术

but you may create better

新视野大学英语第四册 Unit 8 课文翻译

I remember the very day that I became black.

我清楚地记得我成为黑人的那一天。

13 岁之前我一直住在佛罗里达州的一个黑人小镇伊顿维尔。

Up to my thirteenth year I lived in the little Negro town of Eatonville, Florida.

It is exclusively a black town.

小镇的居民全是黑人。

The only white people I knew passed through the town going to or coming from Orlando, Florida.

我所认识的白人都是来自佛罗里达的奥兰多或是去往奥兰多的过路人。

The native whites rode dusty horses, and the northern tourists traveled down the sandy village road in automobiles.

本地的白人骑着风尘仆仆的马匹,而北方来的旅游者则驾着汽车沿着乡下的沙土路一路驶来。

The town knew the Southerners and never stopped chewing sugar cane when they passed.

小镇的人见惯了南方人,因此他们经过时小镇的人照旧大嚼甘蔗。

But the Northerners were something else again.

但是看到北方人则是另一回事。

They were peered at cautiously from behind curtains by the timid.

胆怯的人躲在窗帘后小心翼翼地偷看他们,

The bold would come outside to watch them go past and got just as much pleasure out of the tourists as the tourists got out of the village.

胆大的则会走到屋外看着他们经过, 感到很有趣, 就像这些旅游者看到这村庄也感到很有趣一样。

The front deck might seem a frightening place for the rest of the town, but it was a front row seat for me.

门前平台可能是镇上其他人不敢去的地方,但对我来说,那儿就像前排座位一样。

My favorite place was on top of the gatepost.

我最爱坐在门柱上。

Not only did I enjoy the show, but I didn't mind the actors knowing that I liked it.

我喜欢在那儿看人们来来往往,也不在乎让那些人知道我喜欢看他们,

I usually spoke to them in passing.

通常还与他们搭几句话。

I'd wave at them and when they returned my wave, I would say a few words of greeting.

我向他们挥手,如果他们也向我挥手,我还会与他们打招呼。

Usually the automobile or the horse paused at this, and after a strange exchange of greetings, I would probably \way\ the road a bit. 骑马或驾车的人通常会停下来,我们不可思议地互打招呼之后,我可

能会随着他们“颠儿几步”, 这是我们佛罗里达最南边的说法, 意思是跟着他们走上一小段路。

If one of my family happened to come to the front of the house

in time to see me, of course the conversation would be rudely broken off.

如果正巧赶上家里人来到房前看见我,他们就会毫不客气地打断我们的交谈。

During this period, white people differed from black to me only in that they rode through town and never lived there.

那段日子里,在我看来,白人和黑人的区别只不过是他们路过小镇,但从不住在这里。

They liked to hear me \

and gave me generously of their small silver for doing these things, which seemedstrange to me, for I wanted to do them so much that I needed bribing to stop.

他们喜欢听我“说几句”, 喜欢听我唱歌, 看我跳舞, 并为此大方地给我小银币这倒使我感到意外, 因为我太愿意跟他们“说上几句”, 太愿意为他们唱歌跳舞了, 他们给我钱时我才会停下来。

Only they didn't know it.

只是他们不知道这一点。

黑人不会给我钱。

The colored people gave no coins.

They disapproved of any joyful tendencies in me, but I was their

Zora nevertheless.

对我表现出的任何一点欢乐的苗头,他们都不赞同。但我仍然是他们的佐拉。

I belonged to them, to the nearby hotels, to the country — everybody's Zora.

我是属于他们,属于周围的旅馆,属于那个地方,属于每一个人的佐拉。

But changes cameto the family when I was thirteen, and I was sent to school in Jacksonville.

但我 13 岁时,家里发生了变故,我被送到杰克逊维尔的学校去了。

I left Eatonville as Zora.

离开伊顿维尔时我还是我,佐拉。

When I got off the riverboat at Jacksonville, she was no more.

可在杰克逊维尔下了船后,原来的佐拉不复存在了。

It seemed that I had suffered a huge change.

我似乎发生了巨大的变化,

I was not Zora of Eatonville anymore; I was now a little black girl.

我再也不是伊顿维尔的佐拉了,我现在成了个小黑妞,

I found it out in certain ways.

在好些方面都是。

In my heart as well as in the mirror, I became a permanent brown — like the best shoe polish, guaranteed not to rub nor run.

在内心深处,我变成了永远不黑不白的棕色人──就像最好的鞋油,抹不掉,不褪色。

在镜中,

Someone is always at my elbow reminding me that I am the granddaughter of slaves. 身边总有人提醒我自己是奴隶的后代, It fails to register depression with me.

但这并没有使我沮丧。

Slavery is something sixty years in the past.

奴隶制是 60 年前的事了。

The operation was successful and the patient is doing well, thank you.

解放黑奴的这场手术很成功,病人的情况也不错,谢谢。

The terrible war that mademe an American instead of a slave said \ line!\ 这场使我从黑奴变为美国公民的可怕战争喊道“各就位!” The period following the Civil War said \ before me said \ 内战后的那段时期说“预备!”我的上一代人则喊“跑!” Like a foot race, I am off to a flying start and I must not halt

in the middle to look behind and weep.

就像一场赛跑一样,我飞速起跑,决不可中途停步,伤心回望。

Slavery is the price I paid for civilization, and the choice was not with me.身为黑奴是我为文明生活所付出的代价,而作出这一选择的并不是我。 No one on earth ever had a greater chance for glory be won and nothing to be lost.

世界上再没有什么人有过比这更大的争取荣耀的机会了。

—the world to

It is thrilling to think, to know, that for any act of mine,

I shall get twice as much praise or twice as much blame.

想想将要获得的新生活, 而且我们不会有任何损失。 不管我做什么, 都可能得到双倍的嘉奖,或是双份的责难。

It is quite exciting to hold the center of the national stage, with the audience not knowing whether to laugh or to weep. 想想这一点,知道这一点

都令人激动不已。占据国内舞台的中心可真刺激,而台下的观众则不知是喜是忧。

I do not always feel colored.

我没有总是感到自己是有色人种。

Even now I often achieve the unconscious Zora of that small village, Eatonville. 甚至现在我还常常感觉自己还是伊顿维尔小镇上懵懂无知的佐拉。

For instance, I can sit in a restaurant with a white person.

比如,我可以在餐馆和一位白人坐在一起。

We enter chatting about any little things that we have in common and the white man would sit calmly in his seat, listening to me with interest.