综合英语教程第三版4 邹为诚主编 第二单元p37
1. 玛丽看到一个贼眉鼠眼的男人走进邻居家里。 shifty
Mary saw a shifty-eyed man walking into a neighbor’s house. 2. 鲍勃总是嘲笑我对服饰的眼光。 sneer at
Bob always sneers at my taste in clothes. 3. 打探别人的秘密是不礼貌的。 pry
It is impolite to pry into other’s secrets. 4. 我想克里斯想要抢我的饭碗。 be after sth I think Chris is after my job.
5. 她看到克里斯给他使的眼色，说话的声音便越来越小了。 trail off She trailed off, silenced by the look Chris gave her. 6. 那些树枝干而易断。 brittle
The branches were dry and brittle.
7. 收音机老是发出噼里啪啦的声响，我们几乎听不清里面说些什么。 crackle
The radio cracked so much that we could hardly hear what was said. 8. 地面向海倾斜。 slope
The land slopes down to the sea. 9. 他的口袋里鼓鼓囊囊的塞满了钞票。 bulge His pockets were bulging with money.
10. 我不得不和出租车司机就车费讨价还价。 haggle
I had to haggle with the taxi driver over the fare. 第三单元p58
1. 这样的好机会千载难逢。 once in a blue moon
An opportunity as good as this arises/occurs only once in a blue moon.
2. 这个孩子因为私自拿了母亲包里的钱而觉得十分愧疚。 guilty of
The boy felt guilty for taking money from his mother’s handbag without permission.
3. 她知道他的话一句真的也没有。 give credence to
She did not give credence to a single word of his story. 4. 一般来说，老师对学生的错误都比较宽容。 be tolerant of
Generally speaking, teachers are tolerant of their students’ mistakes. 5. 我想当然地以为你会跟我们一起来，于是就给你买了票。 take… for granted
I took it for granted that you’d want to come with us, so I bought you a ticket.
6. 由于经理的不断劝导，工作人员很快就改掉了迟到的坏习惯。 break the habit
Thanks to the manager’s repeated counseling, the staff soon broke the bad habit of coming late to work.
7. 他现在对她发火，但不久会原谅她的。这只是几小时的事，仅此而已。 a matter of, that’s all
He’s furious with her now, but he’ll forgive her soon. It’s just/only a matter of a few hours, that’s all. 第四单元p78
1. 只有通过调查我们才有发言权。 (only)
Only after investigation can we have the right to speak. 2. 我们绝不应当盲从。 (on no account)
On no account should we follow others blindly. 3. 他绝不是担任这项工作的最佳人选。 (by no means)
By no means is he the best person for the job. 4. 第一次成功绝非是最后的胜利。 (in no way)
In no way was the success in the first round the ultimate/final victory.
5. 别处找不到这样美丽的景色。 (nowhere)
Nowhere else could one find such beautiful scenery. 6. 他曾多次给了我忠告。 (many a time)
Many a time has he given me good advice. 7. 献身于祖国现代化的人是幸福的。 (happy)
Happy is he who dedicates his life to modernization of his motherland/country. 第二部分p79
1. 他没当成歌星，却成了一位十分成功的商人。 make it
He failed to make it as a pop singer, but he turned out to be a successful businessman.
2. 电影中的动人情节紧紧地抓住了观众的心。 capture one’s heart
The thrilling plot of the movie captured the hearts of the audience. 3. 公司要关心的事务之一是确保员工的安全。 one’s concern
One of the company’s main concerns is to ensure the safety of its employees.
4. 退休的总统不愿放弃他的特权。 let go of
The retired president was unwilling to let go of his privileges. 5. 南茜感到热泪涌入了眼眶。 well up
Nancy could feel hot tears welling up in her eyes.
6. 加强我们关系的最好办法不是赠送礼物，而是坦诚地交换意见。 strengthen one’s bond
The best way to strengthen our bond is not to give gifts but to exchange our opinions frankly.
7. 如果像这样开车，你最终要进医院。 end up
You’ll end up in the hospital if you drive your car like this. 8.虽然我们没表露出什么，但实际上我们很为她的安全担心。 in truth In truth we feared for her safety, although we didn’t let it be known. 第五单元p100
1. 如果你不付全部现金，可以用分期付款的方式来买车。 on credit
If you can’t afford to pay in cash, you can buy the car on credit.
2. 我说过要帮他，而这也是我想要做的。我会可守诺言的。 keep one’s word
I said I’d help him and that’s what I’m going to do. I shall keep my word.
3. 我与这家公司休戚相关，不愿看到他破产。 have a stake in something
I’ve a stake in this company and don’t wish to see it go bankrupt.
4. 随着工业生产的发展，旧的封建制度开始崩溃。 fall apart
With the development of industrial production, the old feudal system began to fall apart.
5. 他很能干，把农场搞得井井有条。 keep something straight
He is very competent and keeps everything straight on the farm. 6. 新的教学体制旨在把学习更多课程的主动权交给学生。 give somebody the initiative The new educational system aims to give the students the initiative to learn more subjects.
7. 在旅行出发之前先要把我们的车子调整好。 tune up
Before starting on our trip we should tune the car up. 第六单元
They are to have their wedding next month. 2.他因为作出了重大发现而将接受祝贺。
He is to be congratulated on his brilliant discovery. 3. 要是明天下雨，比赛就得推迟。 （说话者认为下雨的可能性很小）
If it were to rain tomorrow, the match would be postponed. 4.别灰心，最好的还在后面。
Do not despair. The best is yet to come.
That was in was to sail to the New World of America in the following year. (future in the past) 6. 你们不应当在阅览室内讲话。
You are not to talk in the reading room. 7. 新的交通规则必须得到遵守。
The new traffic regulations are to be observed. 8. 远征之前路线应该事先计划好。
The route is to be planned before the expedition. 第二部分p120
1. 女房东告诉我租金必须先付。 in advance
The landlady told me that the rent must be paid in advance.
2. 虽然这家公司鼓吹他们的产品要比其他公司的好，但实际上他们的质量不如人家。 superior, inferior
Although this company boasts that its products are superior to those of other companies, they are actually inferior in quality. 3. 最根本的问题是他们缺少兴趣。 at the root of
What lies at the root of the problem is their lack of interest. 4. 警方访问了一些目击者，但无人能说清楚这事故是怎么发生的。 come about
The police interviewed several witnesses, but none of them could tell how the accident came about.
5. 百货商店的新楼不符合安全条例。 conform to
The new building of the department store does not conform to the safety regulations.
6. 她从集邮中得到了很大的满足。 derive … from
She derived great satisfaction from her stamp collection. 7. 五彩的气球和旗帜为这个小城增添了节日气氛。 add to
Colorful balloons and flags added to the festive atmosphere of the small town.
8. 金钱很重要，可是幸福并不总是和财富联系在一起的。 associate … with
Money is very important, but happiness is not always associated with wealth. 第七单元
1. 他居然当众说谎，实在丢脸。 It is a disgrace that … It is a disgrace that he (should) lie in public. 2. 他会如此不高兴，令人遗憾。 It is a pity … It is a pity that he should be so upset.
3. 恼人的是我竟把票给忘了。 It is a nuisance that …
It is a nuisance that I should have forgotten my ticket. 4. 我们的野餐让一场雨给搅了，真可惜。 It is a shame that …
It is a shame that our picnic should be spoiled by the rain. 5. 你务必参加这个会议。 It is essential that …
It is essential that you should attend the meeting.
6. 我们应该跟上世界的最新发展，这是很重要的。 It is important that …
It is important that we should keep up with the most recent developments in the world.
7. 大学生懂一点计算机有好处。 It is desirable that …
It is desirable that university students should know how to work with computers.
8. 真奇怪，他竟不通知我们就走了。 It is strange that …
It is strange that he should have gone away without letting us know.
1. 博物馆里目前有希腊艺术收藏展出。 on display
There is a Greek art collection on display at the museum at the moment.
2. 他在森林里迷了路，没有食物，只得靠吃野菜、野果求生。 be reduced to
Lost in the forest and out of food, he was reduced to eating wild herbs and fruit to keep himself alive. 3. 这块地方被划出来准备作操场用。 mark off
This area has been marked off as a future playground. 4. 除了蹚过这片泥泞的水域外，别无选择。 wade