新视野大学英语（第三版）第二册读写教程课后答案 Unit 1 Language in mission Text A An impressive English lesson Ex.1 Understanding the text
1、Because he is tired of listening to his father and he is not interested in grammar rules.
2、The civilization of Greece and the glory of Roman architecture are so marvelous and remarkable that they should be described at least in a brief account; however, what the student could do was only one single utterance :“whoa!” without any any specific comment.
3、Because the schools fail to set high standards of language proficiency. They only teach a little grammar and less advanced vocabulary. And the younger teachers themselves have little knowledge of the vital structures of language.
4、Because teaching grammar is not an easy job and most of the students will easily get bored if it’s not properly dealt with.
5、He familiarized his son with different parts of speech in a sentence and discussed their specific grammatical functions including how to use adverbs to describe verbs.
6、Because the son had never heard about the various names and functions of words in an English sentence before.
7、The author uses “road map”and “car”to describe grammar and vocabulary. Here,“road map”is considered as grammar and “car”as vocabulary.
8、Since the subjunctive mood his son used is a fairly advanced grammar structure, the interjection“whoa!”reflects the tremendous pride the father had toward his son; it also reflects the author’s humor in using the word because it was once used by his student, though in two different situations and with two different feelings. Ex.3 Words in use
1.condense 2.exceed 3.deficit 4.exposure 5.asset
6.adequate 7.competent 8.adjusting 9.precisely 10.beneficial Ex.4 Word building -al/-ial: managerial/editorial/substance/survival/tradition/margin -cy : consistency/accuracy/efficient -y : recovery/ministry/assembly Ex.5 Word building
1.editorial 2.recovery 3.accuracy 4.substance 5.managerial
6.margin 7.assembly 8.Ministry 9.survival 10.tradition 11.consistency 12.efficient Ex.6 Banked cloze 1-5: L C J A I 6-10: O N E H F Ex.7 Expressions in use
1.feel obliged to 2.be serious about 3.run into 4.distinguish between 5.thrust upon 6.was allergic to 7.get lost 8.be attracted to 9.make sense 10.looked upon as Ex.8 Structured writing
Some bookworms in my dormitory often spend hours reading their “Bible”, Practical English Grammar, and do a lot of exercises in that book , but I don’t care about it at all. My assumption is since I have never learned Chinese grammar, what’s the sense of learning English grammar? In fact, English grammar has always been a big headache to me.
English grammar is very complicated because, unlike Chinese, there are many verb tenses. Even
1 / 22
stranger than verb tenses, English grammar also contains something very confusing. For example, I don’t remember how many times my middle school teacher tried to“impose”the differences between used to and be used to on us. Sometimes he would go on with the explanation for 20 minutes or so. He even summarized the differences by listing three or four points for us to memorize. However, they could never stay in my head . I don’t remember how many times I got it wrong with the sentences containing used to or be used to on my exams . I was really confused with these two phrases,and I can never get them right.
In brief, I’m allergic to learning English grammar. Curiously, I just wonder if the native speakers of English have a microcomputer in their brain to help them utter the two phrases promptly with just a click of their brain mouse! Ex.9 E-C Translation
Ex.10 C-E Translation
Chinese calligraphy is a unique art and the unique art treasure in the world. The formation and development of the Chinese calligraphy is closely related to the emergence and evolution of Chinese characters. In this long evolutionary process, Chinese characters have not only played an important role in exchanging ideas and transmitting culture but also developed into a unique art form. Calligraphic
works well reflect calligraphers’ personal feelings, knowledge, self-cultivation, personality, and so forth, thus there is an expression that “seeing the calligrapher’s handwriting is like seeing the person”. As one of the treasures of Chinese culture, Chinese calligraphy shines splendidly in the world’s treasure house of culture and art. Text B The great journey of learning 2. Understanding the text
D. 2. A 3. C 4. A 5. C 6. B 7. C 8. D 4. Words in use
mysterious 2. desperate 3. devise 4. negotiate 5. recalled 6. specifically 7. depict 8. Ignorance 9. Expand 10 confusion 5. Expressions in use
apply to 2. in a bid to 3. end up 4. speaking of
5. get hold of 6. appealed to 7. leaving ..behind 8. focus on EX. 6 Sentence structure .
even though it is important of the students to have a deep understanding of the texts, it doesn’t make any sense to read texts word for word from the beginning to the end
as it is a matter of little importance to us, it doesn’t make much sense to argue out which is wrong or right or which is better or worse
it makes no sense to compel children to obey their parents; instead, we should try to tell them what
2 / 22
is right and what is wrong. EX. 7.
II might as well have stayed at home.
We might as well have taken the train home So he might as well have told me all about it . Collocation: Warm-up
essential framework 2. distinctive difference 3 high standards
4 valuable possessions 5 considerable frustration 6 acquire knowledge 7 overcome deficiencies 8 sketch thoughts 9 devise a scheme Ex. 8
1 essential framework 2 proper vocabulary 3 excellent control 4 language deficit 5 high standards 6 language proficiency 7 acquire knowledge
8 competent communication 9 overcome deficiencies 10 sketch thoughts 11 effective communication 12 advanced vocabulary Unit 2 College-The ladder to success Text A The humanities:Out of date? Reading Comprehension
1. because English or history majors are considered less competitive when the job market is shrinking, and they have to study something that can help them more easily locate their future jobs.
2. because as the tuition is climbing higher and higher, many students have run away from studying the humanities and toward “hard” skills that they think will lead to employment.
3. since more students are now taking job-oriented courses, libraries, where students of liberal arts used to study, are getting less popular than before; in contrast, labs are getting more eye-catching because students of science and engineering do experiments and research there.
4. because this inner drive that can be either constructive or destructive is so mysterious and powerful that it has attracted many people to speculate on it. From ancient times, these men and women developed artistic “languages” in the form of story, music, myth, painting, architecture, sculpture, landscape and traditions, which from the very foundation of civilization.
5. Studying the humanities improves your ability to read and write, makes you familiar with the language of emotion and the creative process, and, more importantly, provides you with a wide scope of possibilities that are open to you.
6. Because in modern life, an ideal capacity for establishing one’s career is to have both technical knowledge and inner insight, not just one without the other.
7. “Well-rounded human beings” are those who have insight and understand the passions, hopes and dreams common to all humanity.
8. Since many people who once studied the humanities became famous in their career, the author implies that if students spend more time studying the humanities, they could surely become successful in the future as well. Language focus 3
1. promotes 2. accelerate 3. mystery 4. insight 5. boost 6. analysis 7. calculate 8. barriers 9. destruction 10. prospect
3 / 22
Promising Bearing Housing Objective Offend Exclude Excess Execute Intensify Identity 5
1. excess 2. bearing 3. objective 4. intensify 5. execute 6. promising 7. exclude 8. identity 9 offend 10. housing 6.
1-5 CHDJB 6-10 LMGFA 7
1. are liable to 2. in favor of 3. is bound to
4. speculate about 5. invested…with 6. stand up for 7. in the form of 8. prepared for 9. in the company of 10 in succession 9
In recent years, with the development of Internet technology, the construction of digital education resources of our country has made great achievements. Many universities have set up their own digital learning platforms, and digital teaching is playing an increasingly important role in education. Compared with the traditional way of teaching, the digital way has a lot of advantages. On one hand, digital teaching makes global sharing of teaching resources possible; on the other hand, it expands the learner’s study time and space to learn, allowing people to get access to the digital virtual schools through the Internet anytime and anywhere. These advantages make it possible for people to shift from one-time learning to lifelong learning. Unit 2 TextB What college bring us? Ex 1
1. Main idea: College has never been magical for everyone.
Major detail: More high school graduates don’t fit the pattern of college.
2. Main idea： We need to revise our attitudes and reform the system. Major detail: we only judge things based on our own college experiences.
3. Main idea: College education seems to have wasted time and accumulated debt.
Major detail: Close to 80 percent of new jobs can be performed by someone without a college degree. Ex.2
1C 2D 3C 4A 5D 6B 7B 8A Ex.3
4 / 22